Our health and safety protocols
June 1, 2020
The health and safety of Peninsula Co-op’s employees and customers is very important to us. We have taken additional steps at all of our locations to help our people stay safe and healthy and to protect our customers during COVID-19. These are some of the measures we are taking:
· Hours of operation are assessed each week and adjusted as needed to both accommodate our customers while also keeping customers and staff safe
· Staff arrive early each day to sanitize high touch surfaces before our locations open
· Cleaning and sanitizing take place regularly throughout the day
· Physical distancing measures are in place including line up spacers and plexiglass shields at our pay points
· We are limiting the number of people in our stores at one time which staff are actively monitoring
· A greeter at the main entrance of our Food Centre is monitoring the number of people entering and leaving the store, and is providing customers with a sanitized shopping cart or basket
· Hand sanitizing gel is available for use upon entering our Food Centre and convenience stores
· Signage encourages Food Centre customers to only touch what they intend to buy
· We have temporarily removed all self-serve food and beverages including bulk foods in the Food Centre and fresh coffee, Big Cools and baked goods in our convenience stores
· We have moved to Self-Serve Plus model at our gas centres. Customers dispense their own fuel and our staff members are available
to provide assistance, wash windows and check under the hood
· Food Centre customers are temporarily unable to use personal shopping bags; instead we are providing new unused plastic grocery bags at no charge
· Bulk fuel delivery vehicles are sanitized thoroughly at the end of each day and throughout the day after each customer delivery
· Gloves, safety glasses, hand sanitizer and hand washing stations are available for staff members at all times
· Sneezing and coughing protocols are posted in all areas and it is requested that customers with respiratory symptoms do not enter our locations
Deep Cove and Cowichan gas pumps re-open
April 20, 2020
We are pleased to advise that our Deep Cove and Cowichan gas pumps have reopened to serve the community. Our convenience stores remain closed at this time and fueling offered is self-serve only. Check back for future updates.
Operational changes in response to COVID-19
March 23, 2020
As the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation continues to evolve, so does our response. At Peninsula Co-op, we are working to continue to offer needed services to our community while prioritizing the health of our members and staff.
Fuel sales remain open, with reduced hours.
We are working hard to keep fuel accessible to our customers. However, to reduce risk to our customers and staff, we have taken the precautionary measure of closing our convenience stores effective immediately. Fuel purchases remain available at the pump via debit or credit cards. Unfortunately, we are unable to support cash transactions. Car washes remain open where they are able to be purchased at the pumps or unattended.
We have temporarily closed our Deep Cove and Cowichan locations as a precautionary measure, not as a result of any known cases. Our Deep Cove customers are asked to visit our larger nearby McDonald Park location instead. Our Cowichan location is in a high-density area and we ask that customers visit our nearby Canada Ave location as an alternative, or our Bench Road location if heading southbound.
Food Centre remains open with reduced hours.
As an essential service, our Food Centre remains open with reduced hours. We are limiting customers to 25 visitors at a time and have implemented safety messaging in store to help support social distancing. Please remain mindful of our staff and customers when visiting and ensure to keep a safe distance in aisles or line-ups.
We are continuing to monitor the pandemic and will make any additional adjustments as required. Given how fluid the situation is, we encourage you to follow us on Facebook or reference our website at peninsulaco-op.com for on-going updates moving forward. We recognize that these changes may cause inconveniences to our members. In this time of uncertainty, we ask for your patience and understanding.
Committed to our community
As a local co-operative that was built right here on Vancouver Island, we are committed to the health and safety of our community. In a time of crisis, it’s important to support each other and be mindful of others around us. Peninsula Co-op has just donated over $10,000 to food banks across our markets to help feed those in need. It’s through your ongoing support as a member that we are able to give back to the community.
Thank you for being a member of Peninsula Co-op and for sticking with us during these turbulent times. Stay safe.
A message about COVID-19
March 17th, 2020
The health and well-being of our members and staff is of the utmost importance to us. In light of COVID-19, we are making additional efforts to more frequently clean and sanitize common areas including pay-point counters and pin-pads, fuel nozzles, door and cooler case handles, and bathrooms. We are monitoring and sharing health updates with staff daily to ensure we are doing everything we can to minimize risk.
We strongly encourage those visiting our locations to frequently wash their hands, cover their mouth and nose with a tissue or flexed elbow when coughing or sneezing, and avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth.
If you are feeling unwell, have recently returned from an affected area, or have an underlying health condition that may be impacted by respiratory illness, we ask that you take good care of yourself and follow suggestions by health authorities to keep yourself protected. We will look forward to serving you again when you are feeling better.
As of today, our operations remain open to serve the needs of our customers. Starting March 18, our Food Centre hours will adjust to 9am – 7pm daily. In addition, our gas centres will offer self-serve only as a measure of reducing personal interaction. We will follow suggestions from health authorities and if need be, will make any additional adjustments as required. Please follow us on Facebook or reference our website for on-going updates moving forward.
As part of our Peninsula Co-op family, we hope you stay healthy and safe as we navigate this situation together as a community.